[cisco-voip] CUCM SIP To PSTN

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:16:49 EDT 2012

The scenario of:
CUCM--SIP--GW--SIP--Provider

The gateway magically turns into a CUBE, and there's a whole bunch of
marketing and technical information on what happens when you do that.

If you compare these two solutions:
-CUCM direct SIP trunk to provider
-Use MTP to keep media to a single IP
-Or use NAT to keep internal addressing safe
or
-Use CUBE

There's a whole bunch of scalability and troubleshooting problems that
can arise from the first. Having a demarcation point at the GW (CUBE)
is extremely helpful. As well, it prevents you from needing to NAT SIP
which historically is a pretty terrible idea.  It also has some SIP
security and flexibility options, and is a good centralization point
for trunks.

I haven't worked with anyone doing the direct trunk from CUCM to
provider. Many providers are going to make their own rules which will
include an SBC (industry term for CUBE).

Short story - just use an SBC. There's about 3-4 compelling reasons.

-nick