[cisco-voip] Couple misc. CTL/certificate questions...

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 10:56:32 EDT 2012

Just by way of a follow-up from my work today.

- The troubleshooting section of Jason's CTL doc was very handy to follow
through and verify operations when I finished all my tasks.

- Regenerating certs went off without a problem

- The login for CTL Client is the application administrator login, not the
platform administrator as I had expected, thought that was a little odd.

- The CTL client refused to recognize my security tokens as valid when run
on my crappy windows XP laptop - said they were not from Cisco CA. I even
downloaded the newer CTL Client from cisco.com, thinking it was just a
newer security token manufacturer (since there is a bug about that). I've
used the same tokens to sign my CTL on cm 8 test cluster without issues.

- Ended up installing CTL on my windows 7 desktop and running in
compatibility mode. Everything worked fine, and it accepted all my tokens.

- The serial numbers printed on the tokens/packaging do not match the
serial number listed in the CTL. The SN in CTL is in the format
SAST-ADNXXXXXX, which matches up with what Jason's CTL document is showing.
The serial numbers printed on my tokens/packaging all look like FTXXXXXXX,
like a router serial number or something.

- Before restarting all phones/CM services, I reloaded TFTP and then reset
my desk phone and a couple other phones in interesting locations on campus
(ie behind asa's etc), and used that to verify correct CTL was downloaded
etc. Yes i'm a little paranoid, but I figured this way if I had an issue I
could run the CTL client again and switch back to non-secure mode before
any other phones started requesting signed configs.

- It was not sufficient to just restart the CM service to get phones to
request a CTL file, I had to actually reset them. CM service needed to be
restarted anyway so no harm done. I was just hoping for the former just to
minimize how many devices I had re-registering this morning, oh well
learned something :)

--
Ed Leatherman