[cisco-voip] 79xx vs. 99xx

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:18:46 EST 2012

My only issue personally with the 9900's is still performance..
interface seems sluggish compared to 7900s. I'm hoping this will
improve with subsequent releases.

We decided to stick with the 7900's for the time being on any future
large deployments, just to keep things consistent with user experience
& training, with the expectation that niche areas will probably be
filled with 8945's or 9900's. I don't feel the new interface is
particularly worse, just a lot different.

As a side note, getting ready to roll out a decent number of 6901's
for residence hall assistants, etc.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Frank Arrasmith
<frank.arrasmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>   just want to poll the room regarding IP Phones they are using.   We
> recently deployed a large # of 9951/9971 phones, and encountered some pretty
> serious bugs(that dont have a fix/workaround yet).  Anybody else deploying
> these?  Are you having bugs in the Call Manager version you are running?
> Other than the integrated video, what benefits do you see in them?. I have
> to say, after working on the 7900 series(sccp) for some time, with fairly
> rock solid performance, I am certainly not impressed with the 99xx phones.
> I think they are particularly hard to use(compared to the 7900 phones) for
> someone with Cisco experience, and practically impossible for the average
> Joe. Maybe I am missing the big picture.  Has anyone seen exceptional
> benefits from using them? The decision to deploy these was above my head ,
> and supposedly in part to the 7965's going end of life.  Is that true, or
> did we get suckered by our VAR(i couldnt find an EOL notice).

Ed Leatherman