[cisco-voip] Manually updating 7936 firmware? SW version shows blank on phone and web page.

Erick B. erickbee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:55:52 EDT 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to manually update a 7936 firmware
with a TFTP Server on my PC somehow?

Issue is I have a 7936 phone and the softkeys don't work for placing
calls, etc but the keys work in the setup menus, etc so I think the
keys are ok and it is SCCP version mismatch with CUC 8.5.1. The 7936
SW Load is blank on the phone and the web page. I can get the phone to
register to the 8.5 server and call it and the Answer key works, just
can't place calls from it or do anything else.

I set up Alternate TFTP Server on the 7936, and the only files I see
the phone request are XMLDefault.cnf.xml and SEPxxxxxx.cnf.xml for
it's MAC address. After a few attempts the phone registers fine.  I
tried to put 2-3 different 7936 3.3 versions on TFTP server and change
the phoneload and the phone never tries to load new firmware.  I also
hard coded the switch port to be directly in the voice vlan and no
change.

Any ideas?

Erick