[cisco-voip] Meetingplace or just use Webex

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:49:40 EDT 2012

Couple different things here.

Meetingplace prior to 8 could do:
-Web conferencing (desktop share)
-Video
-Audio
-Scheduling

Meetingplace 8+ can do:
-Audio
-Video
-Scheduling

Webex can do:
-Web conferencing
-Audio
-Video
-Scheduling

Webex audio can be:
-Webex audio
-Meetingplace audio
-3rd party (service provider, handful of others)

Meetingplace is not for web conferencing, and is normally used to lower the
cost of audio minutes from 3rd party suppliers.  I don't see it used as
video conferencing as much now with Webex and MCUs becoming more popular.

Meetingplace is more or less deprecating their scheduling and preferring to
use Webex for the scheduling. If you've got any type of Webex contract at
all (even 1 port) you're fine for scheduling.

So to answer your question: people use meetingplace to host audio
conferences, for either standalone conferences or the audio for Webex web
conferences. It can be a little confusing.

-nick