[cisco-voip] Bridge upgrade vs. sub(s)

Beck, Andre cisco-voip at ibh.net
Tue May 15 12:00:46 EDT 2012

Re folks,

just to follow up:

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 03:47:32PM +0100, Beck, Andre wrote:

> The point in this installation
> is, the hardware was a tad too new when we had to roll out, the DL380G6s
> could not run 7.x and 8.x was slow in coming to release, but the customer
> insisted on not buying old hardware. So we reactivated a couple of old
> G4s and the G6s served as ESX servers meanwhile, until 8.x would become
> ready.

The procedure became a lot easier than expected. The key to that was, I had
tested 7.x on the DL360G6s using the 7.0 bootable media, which didn't even
find the SATA DVD drive. This time though, I had bootable 7.1.3 media
available, and before going the unsupported VMware way, I just tried that
media on the physical DL380G6s. What should I say - it discovered the
server flawlessly and proceeded to installation...

So it actually was just a matter of installing a new cluster running 7.1.3
on the DL380G6s, importing the latest DRF, upgrading that cluster to
8.6.2.latest (involved a penalty roundtrip over licensing) and then
swapping that in at a proper time.

It went well mostly, with some details going really wrong ;)

Thanks for the brainstorming,
Andre.
--
                    Cool .signatures are so 90s...

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-