[cisco-voip] CUCM SRV records CSCth25928

Adam Frankel (afrankel) afrankel at cisco.com
Fri Nov 16 16:35:36 EST 2012

      http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/trunks.html#wp1123287

      SIP OPTIONS Ping

The SIP OPTIONS Ping feature can be enabled on the SIP Profile
associated with a SIP trunk to dynamically track the state of the
trunk's destination(s). When this feature is enabled, each node running
the trunk's SIP daemon will periodically send an OPTIONS Request to each
of the trunk's destination IP addresses to determine its reachability
and will send calls only to reachable nodes. *A destination address is
considered to be "out of service" if it fails to respond to an OPTIONS
Request, if it sends a Service Unavailable (503) response or Request
Timeout (408) response, or if a TCP connection cannot be established. *
The trunk state is considered to be "in service" when at least one node
receives a response (other than a 408 or 503) from a least one
destination address. SIP trunk nodes can send OPTIONS Requests to the
trunk's configured destination IP addresses or to the resolved IP
addresses of the trunk's DNS SRV entry. Enabling SIP OPTIONS Ping is
recommended for all SIP trunks because it allows Unified CM to
dynamically track trunk state rather than determining trunk state on a
per-call and timeout basis.

HTH,
Adam