[cisco-voip] Ulaw -Alaw and MTP resources

abbas Wali abbaseo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:40:38 EST 2012

Hi all,

just to clairfy, we have confirgured PCM Type to ALaw (as in UK) on the
MGCP gateways but all calls received shows ULaw on the phones.

I believe our MGCP gateway is transcoding them as below

Gateway3#show voice dsp active

DSP  DSP                DSPWARE CURR  BOOT                         PAK
TX/RX
TYPE NUM CH CODEC       VERSION STATE STATE   RST AI VOICEPORT TS ABORT
PACK COUNT
==== === == ======== ========== ===== ======= === == ========= == =====
============

----------------------------FLEX VOICE CARD 0 -----------------------
-------
                        *DSP ACTIVE VOICE CHANNELS*
DSP    DSPWARE              VOX DSP                 SIG DSP          PAK
TX/RX
TYPE   VERSION    CODEC     NUM CH TS VOICEPORT SLT NUM CH TS RST AI ABRT
PACK COUNT
====== ========== ========  === == == ========= === === == == === == ====
============
C5510      27.3.1 *g711ulaw*  001 01 29 0/0/0:15  000 002 12 29   0  0
0  13359/13680
C5510      27.3.1 g711ulaw  001 02 31 0/0/0:15  000 002 14 31   0  0
0    3707/3816

The SIP trunks are enalbed to use MTP resources  and the MTP Preferred
Originating Codec[image: Required Field] is set to ALaw.

I think we are wasting alot of MTP resources converting from A to U. is
there a way to use a uniform codec in CUCM 8.5.

Many thanks
--
@bbas..