[cisco-voip] setting the ARP cache timeout for phones using DHCP option

alalli at iinet.net.au alalli at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 8 04:10:18 EDT 2012

   Currently Being Moderated

CONFIGURING THE ARP CACHE TIMEOUT FOR CISCO PHONES [1]

	Hi All,

	I am hoping to configure the ARP cache timeout for Cisco phones using
the dhcp option.

	I was wondering if anyone here has done it or can verify that this
would be correct.

	Say for example I have a DHCP pool named VOICE.

	In this network, the CUCM is located at IP address 10.2.200.110

	I did some google searching and found a Wiki site with the various
dhcp options defined in it.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol [2]

	According to the site, dhcp option 35 is used as the ARP Cache
Timeout value and it is 4 bytes long.

	Lets say that I would like to set my arp cache timeout to be 300
seconds.

	I convert 300 to hex and get 12C.

	Since my field will need to be four bytes long this becomes
0000.012C.

	I think that the following dhcp pool will provide 300 seconds for the
phone ARP cache timeout.

	ip dhcp pool VOICE

	network 10.240.1.0 255.255.255.0

	default-router 10.240.1.1

	option 150 ip 10.2.200.110

	option 35 hex 0000.0c12

	Can anyone help me out with a verification or point me in the
direction of the appropiate documentation?

	Many thanks for any assistance.

	Regards

	Amanda Lalli-Cafini

Links: