[cisco-voip] 7.15 Subscriber not syslogging to remote syslog server..

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Thu Oct 11 15:00:38 EDT 2012

Hi all -

I'm trying to figure out some things using syslog.

I believe I've correctly configured remote syslog on both my pub/sub.

The publisher is correctly sending syslog data to the remote syslog
server.

The subscriber never seems to send anything.

For the basics, the publisher is in subnet 192.168.200.X

Subscriber in subnet 192.168.201.X

Most phones are in some 10.16.X.Y subnet

All subnets are Vlan interfaces on one L3 switchstack, no firewalls or
WAN links, etc.

i.e, everything's locally connected, so this isn't about slow links,
access-control lists, or anything like that.

I'm seeing the below error in the syslog I do get from the CM1
(Publisher)

Device IP address shown below is the IP of the Subscriber itself.

cm1.2011-08-26.log:Aug 26 19:29:20 cm1 57: Aug 26 23:29:20.699 UTC :
%CCM_CALLMANAGER-CALLMANAGER-3-DeviceTransientConnection: Transient
connection attempt. Connecting Port:42653 Device name [Optional].:
Device IP address [Optional].:192.168.201.6 Device type. [Optional]:255
Reason Code [Optional].:6 Protocol.:SCCP IPAddressAttributes
[Optional].:0 App ID:Cisco CallManager Cluster ID:CM1-Cluster Node
ID:CM1

I can't figure out whether that mention of the Subscriber IP having a
"device transient connection"

has anything to do with this or not.

What my ultimate goal is, is to figure out whether an ATA is registering
and sometimes falling offline and reregistering.

So I thought I'd just grep my syslogs looking for that event from that
device.

Not so easy when most devices are registered to the Subscriber, and it
ain't sayin' anything...

;-) Tim