[cisco-voip] Avoid Clocking issues with PRI

Ted Nugent tednugent73 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:08:01 EDT 2012

Hmm, does this imply that you can have 2 seperate VWIC3s in the
same ISR2 chassis supporting thier own voice clocking domains or are we
still under the same restrictions where the ISR2 only supports a single
clocking domain for voice? Thought that was what I heard but it's possible
this is what I'm remembering.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/prod_qas0900aecd8028d2e5_ps10537_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

*Q.* How do the Cisco VWIC3 cards differ from the VWIC2 cards?
*A.* The Cisco VWIC3 cards are supported only on the Cisco Integrated
Services Router (ISR) 1900, 2900, 3900 and 3900E series platforms. The
VWIC3 cards add enhancements to the previous generation VWIC2 cards,
including:
Enhanced clocking capabilities: The Cisco VWIC3 cards can enable each port
to be clocked from an independent clock source for data applications. Data
ports can also be clocked independent of voice ports. All voice ports on
the card much use the same clock source.
*Q.* Can the 2- and 4-port VWIC3 cards support different clocking domains?
*A.* When the 2- or 4-port VWIC3 is used in data only, non-ATM
applications, each port can connect to a different clocking domain, for
example, when two different T1/E1 carriers are used. When the VWIC3 is used
for voice applications, all voice T1/E1s have to be synchronized to a
single clock source and any difference in clocks risk clock slips or
interface flaps. When the VWIC3 is used for mixed data and voice
applications, each data port can use an independent clock, and the voice
ports can use a clock source independent from the data ports.