[cisco-voip] 9971 Load sip9971.9-3-1-33 and voice vlan

Jason Aarons (AM) jason.aarons at dimensiondata.com
Thu Sep 27 17:56:19 EDT 2012

So, we discovered that if you power up a 9971 with external power (injector) and connect it to the switching, it doesn't honor the Cisco voice VLAN, and jumps on the "access vlan" of the port instead.  Meaning, it does a DHCP and gets our standard user data network of 10.20.164.0/23 instead of the endpoint segment of 10.20.170.0/24

The switch still identifies the phone as a Cisco IP Phone:

Sep 27 14:54:36 MDT: %SWITCH_QOS_TB-5-TRUST_DEVICE_DETECTED: cisco-phone detected on port Gi1/0/9, port's configured trust state is now operational.

However, if you let it draw PoE, it boots normally and places the phone on the voice VLAN and the PC on the data VLAN.

Is there something misconfigured in the switching?  Why would the phone not jump on the voice VLAN regardless of power source?

Phone load is sip9971.9-3-1-33

-jason