[cisco-voip] Cisco SME 8.x

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Apr 18 10:30:29 EDT 2013

Anthony, you are spot on. Same install media, different licensing.

-wes

On Apr 17, 2013, at 9:59 PM, Anthony Holloway <avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com> wrote:

HI Mark,

Sorry for the second post, but I forgot to reply all the first time.

This is my understanding of the SME product, and yes, I do have it in my environment, however, it was built pre my employment, so this is what has been explained to me by coworkers and Cisco SE's.

SME is CUCM licensed differently.  Therefore, yes, it's on the same media.  Also, yes, it supports a demo license like CUCM.  In fact,  on my production system, when I log in to SME, I see the demo license warning.  Also, since you register 0 phones to it, and configure no users, there's nothing to license.  SME licensing is based on the honor system just like CUBE licensing.

I hope that helps.  And I really hope if I'm wrong, someone from Cisco corrects me...gently...=)

Have a good one my "could be" brother!