[cisco-voip] CUCM MTP and g729

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:36:13 EST 2013

Thanks Pete.  I'll see if I can answer or reply to each of your questions
or points.

*"are you SURE this isn't just a device hearing g.729 hold music while
you've got or had the Duplex Streaming service parameter enabled?"*
No, this is a call from an analog device to a PSTN device, and the call is
well established and in progress with two way audio.

*"Do you have the skinny signalling to go with it showing what it was
specifically set up for use as?"*
I'm not sure I understand where the skinny signaling comes in.  The VG224
is MGCP, the SBC is a SIP trunk, and the MTP is local to the CUCM.  Could
you help me understand?  I do have traces off the CUCM if that answers your
question.

*"Also, I beleive MGCP Endpoints have an initial "state" when they begin
call setup. i think not using g.729 actually entails a switch from 729 to
another codec, and perhaps a small delay is causing some packets to be
transmitted using g.729? maybe? that's a complete stretch but who knows =)"*
Again, this is an established call.  I get the call setup, verify two way
audio, and then take the capture.

*"I don't think you're really goign to get an answer unless you can
recreate the issue"*
I can.  I have the VG224 in my cubicle.  Check out the adapter I'm using!
Photo attached.  =)

*"and we can see traces."*
I can't upload traces to the list, but if this goes to a TAC case, I will
certainly give them up at that time.

*"you'll also want a packet capture of the registration of the media device"
*
This is a good idea.  I'll give it a try and see what it reports.

*"you coudl be doing duplex audio while one of those is playing"*
I'm not sure what that means, or how that would even work, but you sound
excited.  =)

*"anyway, can you reproduce it"*
Yes.  I can reproduce it at will.

Thanks for asking the questions and commenting.