[cisco-voip] Cracking noise during calls

Erick Wellnitz ewellnitzvoip at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 10:26:48 EDT 2013

I ran into something similar many years back.

If G.729 is being used be sure VAD is turned off at the gateway.  I had an
issue once where we would get popping and crackling when VAD had engaged
then one party would begin speaking.  Another idea would be to check the
voice port settings to make sure echo cancellation is turned on.  I had an
issue recently where users reported crackling and the echo cancellation was
not configured.

Make sure you have QoS (probably not the issue) is configured for the
Ethernet interface of the gateway.

A packet capture on the gateway can be done using the following method to
see if anything seems off:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5799