[cisco-voip] Changing codec to solve quality issue?

Erick Wellnitz ewellnitzvoip at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 12:52:24 EDT 2013

CUCM 9.1.1a
8945 with sccp 9.3.2

Really odd situation here.  If we use G.729 we have bad quality issues
consistently even with QoS applied and confirmed by TAC.  If we use G.711
we have no quality issues.

We have plenty of bandwidth to run G711 but I don't like not knowing why
something is happening.  It doesn't make sense why jitter and latency would
be through the roof with G729 wile G711 is perfect.  I know G729 is more
sensitive to latency and jitter but it shouldn't cause higher latency and
jitter.

Could this be something in the carrier's underlying architecture?