[cisco-voip] Run on All Active Unified CM Nodes in 8.5 and higher

Matt Taber (mtaber) mtaber at cisco.com
Wed Apr 16 14:10:23 EDT 2014

Hi Jason,

Prior to selection of the Run on All Active Nodes checkbox after upgrade, it sounds like a potential inter-node communication existed with the primary node on which the RL/GW is associated.

The Run on All Active Nodes feature was introduced in CM 8.5 and later to allow use of the route local rule, which is described below:

For route lists, the route local rule operates as follows:

For outbound calls that use route lists (and associated route groups and trunks), when a call from a registered phone or inbound trunk arrives at the node with the route list instance, Cisco Unified CM checks to see if an instance of the selected outbound trunk exists on the same node as the route list. If so, Cisco Unified CM will use this node to establish the outbound trunk call.

If both the route list and the trunk have Run on all Active Unified CM Nodes enabled, outbound call distribution will be determined by the node on which the inbound call arrives. When the selected outbound trunk uses Cisco Unified CM Groups instead of running on all nodes, Cisco Unified CM will apply the route local rule if an instance of the selected outbound trunk exists on the same node on which the inbound call arrived. If an instance of the trunk does not exist on this node, then Cisco Unified CM will forward the call (within the cluster) to a node where the trunk is active.

If the route list does not have Run on all Active Unified CM Nodes enabled, an instance of the route list will be active on one node within the cluster (the primary node of the trunk's Cisco Unified CM Group) and the route local rule will be applied on this node.

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/session_mgmt/deploy/8_5_1/trunks.html#wpxref55318

Regards,

Matt