[cisco-voip] SAF and Dial-Peer Configuration

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Tue Aug 5 09:20:57 EDT 2014

Good morning,

	My head is lost a bit trying to wrap myself around SAF and dial-peer provisioning. It's not really clear from the documentation how it's supposed to work, but I'm getting a bit caught up somewhere. In my test lab, I had set up static dial-peers between an IOS gateway and a CUCM cluster, since the DN range I was using was contiguous. In our production environment, we have DNs all over the place. If I configure a less specific dial-peer, I can configure less of them (especially as I do multiples with preferences for redundancy), but that means calls that are destined for +E.164 destinations within that less specific range, from the CUCM, loop back to it.
	To make it easier on myself, I was hoping to load up the nasty dial plan into the SAF client and have it appear in the IOS gateway and save the trouble. It sort-of works, but, it looks like I have to create a dial-peer to cause the calls to roll through SAF? Is there any way to have it create the necessary dial-peers? If I do something dumb and make it, say, destination-pattern +.*, it will hit on the +E1.64 national dial-peer and go back out to the PSTN before it gets to the CUCM. I'm not really clear on what the value of CUCM -> Gateway SAF is if you are defining the dial-peers anyways, but I'm not understanding all the doc.
	For reference, incoming calls from the PSTN are translated to +E.164, with the goal being +E.164 -> CUCM, Lync, etc from the router.

	Any thought would be appreciated.

Regards,

Adam Pawlowski
SUNYAB