[cisco-voip] Cisco 2811 functioning as an SS7 gateway (ITP)

Rich Davies rich.davies at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:06:13 EDT 2014

Hello,

Since this pertains to telephony/LEC functions I thought maybe someone on
this mailing list might have some input on this.

Was wondering if anyone on this list is using a Cisco 2811 as an ITP (for
SS7 STP functions) and if so is this module "required" to do T1 TDM:

VWIC-2T1/E1-RAN

The following documentation states that is required however the more I read
up on the VWIC-2T1/E1-RAN has additional features that I do not think I
require (such as RAN transport over IP, or 2G/3G):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/ip-transfer-point/product_data_sheet09186a00800925b1.html

I am looking to potentially use a 2811 as an ITP and it has a TDM side that
will face a LEC for SS7 signalling.    Trying to determine if the
VWIC-2T1/E1-RAN is the only module that would work in this application, or
can I use one of the older (and less expensive) T1 controller WICS (such as
VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1)?

Would rather buy a few of a cheaper linecard/module than only have 1 or 2
of the more expensive one.

On another note - I would personally rather use a 7206VXR with NPE-G1 to do
this however Cisco does not have any IOS images for the NPE-G1 anymore
(even though it is a quite capable RP if used in the proper environment).
Can not locate an ITP/SS7 image for the NPE-G1, let alone any for that RP :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich