[cisco-voip] Impact upon licensing in lab environment

Jeffrey Girard jeffrey.girard at girardinc.com
Wed Feb 12 11:01:11 EST 2014

Greetings all -

          My client recently purchased 2 x PAKs for CUCM servers.  They have several physical host machines configured with ESX5.

          My understanding of the difference with CUCM 9 is the ELM.  Licenses are no longer tied to the MAC but are tied to some random characters generated by the ELM during the license file upload process.

This is a lab environment so I want to be sure that I am advising them correctly on the impacts of the following actions:

          Assuming that both PAKs are registered to the single ELM (currently they have a Pub and Sub - each of them running inside ESX 5 on the separate physical host machines)

          1 - what would be the impact if the SUB VM were physically migrated (via copying and moving ova file) to the physical machine hosting the Pub?  My gut tells me no impact

          2 - what would be the impact if the CUCM pub and ELM (co-existing on the Pub) were physically moved (via copying and moving ova file) to the physical machine hosting the Sub?  My gut tells me no impact.

          3 - what would be the impact if the Sub were decommissioned and rebuilt as a Pub in a new cluster?  My gut tells me that it would take TAC involvement to rehost the license

          4 - what would be the impact if the Pub were decommissioned and rebuilt as a Pub in a new lab configuration?  My gut tells me that it would also take TAC involvement to rehost the license
Dr. Jeffrey T. Girard (Jeff), PhD
Colonel, United States Army (Retired)
Senior Network Engineer / VoIP Engineer - WireMeHappy.com
reply to: jeffrey.girard at wiremehappy.com<mailto:jeffrey.girard at wiremehappy.com>
(607)835-0406 (home office)
(845)764-1661 (mobile)
(607)835-0458 (fax)