[cisco-voip] Changing CUCM System>Server from IP to FQDN

Justin Steinberg jsteinberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 08:32:22 EST 2014

here is how I understand it.

If DNS has the _cisco-uds._tcp.customer.com SRV record, Jabber starts the
service discovery process using that SRV.

Jabber takes the results from the SRV, then performs a query against the
CUCM defined in the SRV using:

https://<homeCluster>:8443/cucm-uds/servers

Unfortunately, the results to the above query are based on the CUCM System
> Server.   If that is defined as IP, then Jabber gets IPs.

Then Jabber takes those IPs, and performs the check below.

https://<IP>:8443/cucm-uds/clusterUser?username=<userid>

Since Jabber uses IP, it throws a cert validation error because the IP
doesn't match the FQDN (or SAN) of the certs.

There is a defect on CUCM CSCul15900 and a COP to correct that, but it only
applies to the second URL above.   The first URL continues to return IPs
and this causes the issue.

If I remove the _cisco-uds SRV and go without using service discovery, I
don't encounter the issue.  Because Jabber doesn't perform the associated
queries listed above.

I've opened TAC case for this 629194597, and the Presence engineer
indicated changing CUCM System>Server to FQDN was an option.

There is also a defect on the Jabber client CSCul39696, which seems to
indicate that jabber will allow CUCM System>Server to just be a hostname
and the tomcat to only have the FQDN.   So it seems like eventually, we
could get by with CUCM System>Server just set to hostname, but I don't yet
believe this is fixed in an available verson of Jabber.

It seems to be, that if CUCM team opened CSCul15900  to address:

https://<IP>:8443/cucm-uds/clusterUser?username=<userid>

They could also fix:

https://<homeCluster>:8443/cucm-uds/servers

and that would fix the problem.