[cisco-voip] Monitoring C260 LSI Megaraid

Matthew Ballard mballard at otis.edu
Mon Feb 24 18:04:30 EST 2014

It’s the nature of RAID 5, RAID 5 provides one drive’s worth of parity for protection.  If one drive is lost, no data is lost and it continues to run (albeit at reduced performance in general).

If a second drive is lost, the entire volume of data is lost.

RAID 6 (if supported) adds a second parity worth of space, albeit with reduced write performance (due to additional overhead in work as the controller has to perform twice as much parity calculations), and an additional drive lost in terms of space.

RAID 50 can also add an additional drive’s worth of redundancy (in a different way) without the performance hit, but also doesn’t appear to be in the reference specs with 8 drives.

These are just standard issues when making decisions about servers, although I can’t speak to Cisco’s decisions, but I would guess the lack of RAID 6 support is due to the performance hit.

Matthew Ballard
Network Manager
Otis College of Art and Design
mballard at otis.edu<mailto:mballard at otis.edu>