[cisco-voip] CTL question

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:00:59 EST 2014

Hi folks,

I have a cluster in mixed mode, last weekend we were scheduled to replace
the publisher and TFTP server hardware (migrate to VMWare), cm 8.6. No
version upgrade just a re-install onto VMWare.

We ran out of maintenance window waiting for publisher to restore and db
replication, so I left the TFTP server alone for another weekend. Also
since pub is not registering phones or running TFTP, I did not resign the
CTL file to avoid any more cluster wide phone reboots. I plan on resigning
it after I migrate TFTP this weekend.

Up until now i haven't had any issues with leaving the CTL file alone;
however this morning we tried deploying some brand new 8945's and they are
coming up with authentication error on their config files, which I can't
figure out why at this point. I can't reproduce the issue on my office
phone (also a 8945), it happily downloads the current config files without
complaint, even if I delete CTL/ITL.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here with this? shouldn't the phones just be
checking the TFTP server's signature, which didnt change, against the CTL
or ITL?

I asked the technician to delete the security files on the 8900s in case
for some reason they had a CTL or ITL from the factory, said it didnt help.
I'm having him bring a couple phones back to troubleshoot with and verify
though.

We are only doing signed configs right now, not encrypted files or
control/media.

--
Ed Leatherman