[cisco-voip] Parsing CUCM Informix Ontape Backups

Pete Brown jpb at chykn.com
Thu Jan 30 14:35:33 EST 2014

I'm working on a utility to extract data from the Informix ontape backups contained within CUCM backup sets.  The idea is that a UC engineer could decrypt a backup set then open it and view the configuration data.  In a DR scenario it could possibly be used to selectively restore phones, gateways, etc to a fresh cluster.  But that's the long term goal.  Right now I'm just trying to get visibility to the data.
The problem I'm running into is parsing the raw level 0 ontape backup files generated by Informix.  I've written a routine that can extract data from the "device" table of a backup, but there's plenty more to be done.  Needless to say it's not as simple as dealing with something like MySQL.  I'm sure there's some obscure utility that would speed things along, but I haven't been able to find anything.  If anyone with Informix experience is interested in helping out, please let me know.
Thanks,Pete