[cisco-voip] CCM Trace Question || MediaManager & PTime

Peter Slow peter.slow at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:41:13 EDT 2014

I've always seen medimanager use msec in that second field.
in sip there are ptime and maxptime parameters, ptime is supposed to
be msec per packet in the context of SIP SDP, which is really where
that term comes from. i dont think i've ever seen anything handle
maxptime correctly. ptime tends to get treated as max ptime, meaning
that "if you told me you support 20 msec per packet, then sending you
10 msec pr packet should be okay.
This is almost a requirement, since various scenarios in a call can
cause a lower-volume packet to be sent. For instance, we've got a
ptime of 30 msec negotiated, and i hang up on you at 1 minute and 10
msec - I dont think a coder will insert 20 msec of silence, i beleive
you'd just expect to receive a from with one 10 msec sample in it.

Mediamanager is most likely (should) be showing you the ptime received
in media negotiation - not necessarily the CUCM defaults from CCM
service parameters. the "Enforce Millisecond Packet Size" and "Always
Use Preferred G.729 Packet Size For SIP Trunk Answers" service
parameters may have to do with whatever behavior you're seeing.

Is there something specific you're troubleshooting?

-Pete