[cisco-voip] 7970 phones won't register in Lab

Mike King me at mpking.com
Tue Jun 3 11:08:07 EDT 2014

We just purchased a BE6K to setup a lab.

I've run through the setup, and have that all sorted, or so I think. (So
the environment may or may not be the issue)

We have a couple of very phones we were going to recycle.

Right now we have two, a 7970, and a 7971.

The started life phone firmware at 6.0(2).  Utilizing factory defaulting
off my laptop, I got them to 8.3.3. (I couldn't get them to associated with
6.0(2))

Running 8.3.3, they were able to register, and function.

I pushed the firmware up to 9.3(1SR3.1S)

Now none of the phones are registering.  I've read the release notes, and I
should be able to goto 9.3.1 from 8.3.3 directly on these phones, with no
further intermediate releases.

Attached is one of the phone logs.  Both phone's are showing the same
behavior.

The phone is just sitting there with the wrong date and time in the corner,
and every once and awhile will print out "Registration Rejected: "

Any Idea's why the phones are being rejected?