[cisco-voip] ESXi 5.5U1 and CUCM 10x new install and aligned

Jason Aarons (AM) jason.aarons at dimensiondata.com
Sat Jun 14 12:57:58 EDT 2014

I remember this from older versions of ESxi "VMWare ESXi, the second logical volume is automatically imported unaligned"   Is this still true with ESXi 5.5 and CUCM 10x ?  I've never actually seen where the ESXi install creates the second datastore that the VMs are kept on.  I always have to do it manually in vSphere client.

This whole un-aligned was really a Cisco OVA template mis-configuration as I recall that I don't have to worry about unless at login to ccmadmin I see that warning about un-aligned.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/nc-801-cm/vmware.pdf

Aligning the Datastore Used for VMs
When you install VMWare ESXi, the second logical volume is automatically imported unaligned. VMs
have better disk performance when all partitions (physical, ESXi and VM) start on the same boundary.
This prevents disk blocks being fragmented across the different boundaries.
To ensure that the ESXi partition used for VMs will be aligned, you should delete the unaligned datastore
(the larger disk partition-407 GB), then recreate the datastore using vSphere client.