[cisco-voip] Correct Filter Syntax Question

Daniel Pagan dpagan at fidelus.com
Wed Mar 12 13:37:11 EDT 2014

Jorge:

>From what I understand and have read, the telephoneNumber=* should automatically filter NULL fields.

I cannot get your filter to work properly in my lab:
(&(objectclass=user)(!(objectclass=Computer))(objectclass=contact)(telephoneNumber=*))

Looking at the syntax of this filter, it seems we're looking for objects that are both user and contact instead of users OR contacts. I've edited the filter to the following:

(&(|(objectclass=user)(objectclass=contact))(!(objectclass=Computer))(telephoneNumber=*))

I added this to my lab and it worked without issues - it's basically allowing only user objects OR contacts where the telephone number field is populated. Both end users and contacts are imported with no problem using this in the lab. Removing the configured number in the telephone number field on the user object in AD results in an inactive user in CUCM after forcing another directory sync.

NOTE: Contact objects in Active Directory don't have a sAMAccountName attribute, which is the default LDAP attribute used for end user User ID in CUCM. To pull in contacts, you'll need this changed to something other than sAMAccountName, but changing this would also require that all LDAP directory synchronizations to be removed completely.

Hope this helps.

Daniel