[cisco-voip] CUCM 7x with ACME SBC

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Tue May 6 11:31:30 EDT 2014

Matt,

I'd like to point out three things in response to your comment:

   - LUA scripting support recently moved to:
      -
      https://communities.cisco.com/community/developer/collaboration/call-control/uc-manager-sip

      - Cisco themselves, plus highly qualified non-Cisco people, just like
   this mailing list, provide support on that forum.
      - Shout out to Mark
Stover<https://communities.cisco.com/people/mstover> who
      is a top contributor on LUA scripting support and all around
excellent SIP
      resource

      - A distributed support model has many benefits: free, crowd sourced
   solutions and diverse problem exposure; to name three
      - Shout out to the excellent cisco-voip members and Cisco
      Support/Communities contributors

Therefore, it is my opinion, that Cisco not supporting LUA scripting via
TAC, as does ACME, is not a bad thing, rather, we have a large support
community of Cisco technical resources and non-Cisco technical resources to
call upon and ask for guidance.  And it works quite well.

Is LUA the hot topic on any given Cisco forum?  No, I'll admit that.  But,
it's also very new to CUCM and to UC Engineers.  If we shy away from using
LUA because of its lack of official TAC support, then we'll never gain the
exposure and knowledge required, to have our support communities flourish.

For reference, I have used LUA once to solve a VCS to VzB outbound calling
issue where the SDP was too large (If I recall it was over 1200 bytes).
 Call flow was:  VCS ---SIP--> CUCM ---SIP---> SBC ---SIP---> VzB

I chose to solve it at the CUCM level because I had LUA there to help me.
 Had Cisco simply said "Why give them the option of LUA if we cannot
officially support it?"  Then I would have had a no choice, and my solution
may have never worked.  I appreciate that it's there and don't look
negatively on the feature because of the lack of official TAC support.

Disclaimer: I may have been standing on a soap box when I typed this, but I
have returned to slouching in my computer chair.

Respectfully,