[cisco-voip] International TEHO challenges

Jason Aarons (AM) jason.aarons at dimensiondata.com
Wed May 21 12:31:49 EDT 2014

You get into a mess of regulatory issues.

Often I find that a cost to call in-country might be cheaper had I dialed the number another method than TEHO.  Say for example International.

I once setup TEHO from Atlanta, GA to go out Charlotte, NC for area code 704 calls.  Turns out customer was actually calling Shelby, NC which was a intra-lata rate which the telco then charged more for.  Had I just called it Long Distance it would have been far cheaper.

Then you have design issues with TEHO.  How many people are going to be calling to another city, and will that create utilization issues with incoming calls in that city?

I was a fan of TEHO in the 1980s but no longer.   Seems the international rates have gotten more competitive over the years , and internally we chat/im more and more than call via PSTN.