[cisco-voip] Endpoint accessibility options for deaf

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:50:18 EDT 2014

Good morning!

I had a conversation with one of our accessibility services folks yesterday
around providing communications options for deaf students or potential
students. I am curious if anyone on the list has had any experience with
this or has any opinions or suggestions.

Challenge number one is getting some more convenient communications options
for students at our regional campuses to connect to the accessibility
office on the main campus. We're going to try out some 8945 IP phones to
start out with, and if it works out functionally, explore some higher end
EX models for better overall experience. The main idea is to have visual
communication for sign language. Jabber may also be an option in the future
for this if we roll out IM&P.

Along those lines, they are also curious if there are any endpoints on the
market with video AND TTY capability; I'm 99.99% sure Cisco doesn't have
that up their sleeve so I'm doing a little research on 3rd party SIP. Has
anyone seen such a creature?

We're also exploring Jabber Guest as a way to reach out to prospective
students, researchers, etc, with similar challenges.

Definitely interested in any thoughts on the subject, thanks!

Ed

--
Ed Leatherman