[cisco-voip] Quick question regarding prompt variables CCX 10.5

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:54:13 EDT 2014

If you would like to support multiple languages in UCCX, it's rather easy
and convenient.  The explanation is long, but the idea is simple.

Here's an example to point you in the right direction:

Say you had a script like this and its trigger language was set to en_US

Start
Accept (--Triggering Contact--)
Play Prompt (--Triggering Contact--, P[greeting.wav])
Terminate (--Triggering Contact--)
End

The caller will dial your trigger, UCCX will assign the en_US language to
the Contact*, and then play the prompt named greeting.wav from the
following Prompt folder in the repository:  en_US  That is why you do not
need to type P[en_US/greeting.wav], even though in the web page you clearly
have to click on the en_US folder to see this wav file.

*The key thing to note is that your Contact (aka caller) is what gets
assigned a language.  Not your script, and not your application.

Now, one thing to mention, but I wont go into detail, is that UCCX will
automatically search backwards in less specific language folders for your
file, until it finds a filename match.  E.g., if greeting.wav was not in
en_US, then UCCX looks in en, and if not there either, UCCX looks in
default last.

Ok, so now we should know that en_US comes from the trigger setting (go
ahead and look, I'll wait).  So, if you wanted to change the language, you
would do it at the trigger level.  And by changing the language of the
trigger, you change the folder search path from: en_US > en > default, to
es_US > es > default.

That means that, as long as you have your Spanish recording for the
greeting inside of a greeting.wav file which is under the es_US folder, you
don't even need to modify your script at all.  UCCX will automatically play
the Spanish version of your prompt.  Pretty cool if you ask me.

But maybe you don't know to go all English or all Spanish.  Maybe you want
the user to choose English or Spanish from an up front menu.  Let's modify
our script from above.

Start
Accept (--Triggering Contact--)
Menu (--Triggering Contact--, P[language-menu.wav])
  1 - English
    Set Contact Info (--Triggering Contact--)   // This is where you set
the new language for the Contact  E.g., L[en_US]
  2 - Spanish
    Set Contact Info (--Triggering Contact--)   // This is where you set
the new language for the Contact  E.g., L[es_US]
Play Prompt (--Triggering Contact--, P[greeting.wav])
Terminate (--Triggering Contact--)
End

Based on what we know from earlier, the language-menu.wav will play from
the language folder that the trigger has assigned to it.  So this must
exist in a single language.  The contents of the audio can say whatever you
want.  After the user makes a selection, the script rewrites their language
setting from what the trigger has already set, and then the greeting is
played in the new language.  Or, from the new language folder to be more
specific.

Final note, if the language folder you need is not already created in UCCX
for you, you can create it yourself by clicking the Create Language button
right next to the Upload Prompt/ZIP button.