[cisco-voip] Question regarding videoconferencing within Cisco.com

Walenta, Philip Philip.Walenta at Polycom.com
Fri Oct 10 12:51:55 EDT 2014

Last time I checked Cisco has a public resolved H.323 address/name (was running through VCS).  I find this very odd.

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Robert Kulagowski
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 11:46 AM
To: Cisco VOIP
Subject: [cisco-voip] Question regarding videoconferencing within Cisco.com

Somewhat off topic, but not as long as "v" means "video" and not just "voice". :)

My company has H.323 video endpoints - Polycom HDX. Each is directly reachable from the Internet with a public IP address.

We've been asked to connect to an internal Cisco (cisco.com) telepresence unit for a video conference; when we gave the contact from Cisco our H.323 IP address, we were told that we have to dial _in_ to Cisco. When we asked them for their H.323 for dial-in, they said, "SIP Only!"

A "SIP Only!" response makes me think that the people that we're trying to call within Cisco don't have a VCS somewhere? Isn't that the whole point of VCS? To perform standards interop?

It also seems like since most of the planet still has H.323, to insist that you're only going to talk SIP means that you're not going to make many video calls?

If someone from Cisco can reach out to me, I can forward you the email we got from the person at Cisco so that we can try to get this clarified.

Thanks.