[cisco-voip] Expressway - XMPP - Google Chat

Gary Parker G.J.Parker at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 14:44:20 EDT 2014

On 10 Sep 2014, at 16:33, Jason Aarons (AM) <jason.aarons at dimensiondata.com> wrote:

> I also understood that Google Chat/Talk is being replaced with Hangouts, which will not support XMPP Server to Server (only client side).  So what might work now in Chat/Talk might eventually be depreciated by Google.  Google isn’t too clear on when Chat/Talk will go away.
>
> I haven’t setup what your asking about yet.

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that Google had stopped federating to other XMPP domains.

Yup, here you go:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/05/google-abandons-open-standards-instant-messaging

<rant>
This is particularly annoying for me, managing our campus Cisco Unified Comms platform, as we’re moving to Office365 for our staff email provision, our students are already on Google and I'm running CallManager and trying to promote Jabber for IM&P. I’d love to be able to allow our staff on Jabber talk to students on Chat/Hangouts but it’s unlikely to happen.
</rant>

---
|     Unified Communications Service Manager      |
n       Loughborough University IT Services       |
|     http://delphium.lboro.ac.uk/pubkey.txt      |