[cisco-voip] jabber dual domain question

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 10:09:18 EDT 2015

According to the document you linked, Jabber will first perform this query:

_cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.com

If nothing comes back, then it will try:

_cisco-uds._tcp.cisco-internal.xyz.com

Therefore, the pinpoint subdomain you are creating is:
cisco-internal.xyz.com on your internal DNS server.  This alleviates your
need to host xyz.com (the parent domain) on your internal DNS, where it
would become authoritative and require you to enter every external DNS
entry into your internal DNS server.

Excerpt from Jabber DNS Guide, modified to fit your example:

*When the client queries the name server for SRV records, it issues
additional queries if the name server does not return _cisco-uds or
_cuplogin.*

*The additional queries check for the cisco-internal.xyz.com
<http://cisco-internal.xyz.com> pinpoint subdomain zone.*

*For example, Adam McKenzie's services domain is xyz.com <http://xyz.com>
when he starts the client. The client then issues the following query:*
*_cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.com <http://tcp.xyz.com>*
*_cuplogin._tcp.xyz.com <http://tcp.xyz.com>*
*_collab-edge._tls.xyz.com <http://tls.xyz.com>*

*If the name server does not return _cisco-uds or _cuplogin SRV records,
the client then issues the following query:*
*_cisco-uds._tcp.cisco-internal.xyz.com <http://tcp.cisco-internal.xyz.com>*
*_cuplogin._tcp.cisco-internal.xyz.com <http://tcp.cisco-internal.xyz.com>*