[cisco-voip] PER CALL BANDWIDTH CONSUMPTION OVER ETHERNET+802.1Q

Abbas Wali abbaseo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 05:16:19 EDT 2015

Thanks mate.

From: Anthony Holloway [mailto:avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com]
Sent: 15 April 2015 21:46
To: abbas Wali
Cc: cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] PER CALL BANDWIDTH CONSUMPTION OVER ETHERNET+802.1Q

I read somewhere that a phone could generate up to 2.5x call traffic with its BIB.  Multiplying by 3x would still be acceptable, I would think.

The 8000 is a burst threshold over the policed rate.  It's always been 8000 in my experience, but probably only because no one knows enough to adjust it  You cannot have an average and a max rate with voice.  It's constant (excluding VAD).  Video on the other hand is variable.

If you are studying for your CCIE, I can share with you that Cisco has publicly stated they have some percentage of forgiveness.  I.e., If they say 3 g711ulaw calls worth of bandwidth, and I enter 90*3=270, but you enter 93*3=279 (or even round up to 280), we would both get the points.  What the percentage is, I don't recall.  I want to say it was like 10%.  So for every 100kbps, you can be plus or minus 10kbps.