[cisco-voip] Unity Connection upgrade from 7.1(3) to 9.1(2)

Rasim Duric rduric at uoguelph.ca
Tue Apr 21 15:55:42 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade our two Unity Connection servers 7.1(3)ES11 to 9.1(2)SU3. In the Cisco document at this URL: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/9x/requirements/9xcucsysreqs.pdf , page 30, you can read the following:

During the migration, only user data and, optionally, voice messages are preserved. System-level configuration data (for example, templates and classes of service) must be manually configured.

I'm migrating CUC 7.1(3)ES11 from one physical server to another physical server (compatible with 9.1(2)SU3 specs). The plan is to install 7.1(3) from scratch on the new server and then restore the old server via DRS. After the 7.1(3) is up and running on the new server, perform the 9.1.(3)SU3 upgrade. I think all data should be preserved including the templates, the Class of Services, etc. in my case.

When would someone actually experience the above statement from the Cisco document? What else is not preserved?

If anyone has done a similar upgrade, I'd like to hear any tips and tricks or issues you ran into.

Thanks.

Rasim Duric
Network analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph