[cisco-voip] T1 Clock source question

Andrew Dorsett vtadorsett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:23:33 EDT 2015

Rob is correct in that you can use NMs that support DSPs on the NM to have
separate clocking domains.  On the new ISR4k line, we have the option of
placing DSPs on the T1 module (NIM) which will allow us to support multiple
clocking domains.  Some people are placing DSPs on the NIM for the T1
interface and then DSPs on the on-board slots for DSP farm applications.

Typically with different providers you would encounter different clocking
domains and therefore you will see slips.  If you're using on-board DSPs
it's not recommended that you bring multiple providers into the same box.

Sometimes you'll get lucky and a CLEC is clocking off the ILEC and
therefore they are in sync and you can clock off one and not see slips with
the other.  Another lucky situation is when the ILEC is really providing
the service/circuit (thus clocking) and you're just being billed by a
CLEC.  So it pays to know exactly how things are provisioned.  Usually your
ILEC guy can give you the low-down if you ask nicely when he shows up to
install the circuit.

Andrew