[cisco-voip] BE6k NIC Teaming / Etherchannel question

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Tue Aug 25 09:03:51 EDT 2015

The flavor of VMWare that comes with the BE6/7k only has the ability to use a vSwitch, not a distributed vSwitch due the differences in licensing (Enterprise Plus being what enables the ability to use a distributed vSwitch).

According to this VMWare KB article;

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=1004048

When using a standard vSwitch, the only NIC Teaming load balancing policy supported is Route based on IP hash. When you translate that to an etherchannel in a Cisco IOS device, you are limited to a static etherchannel (channel-group XXX mode on).

 However this article (Considerations for Deploying CiscoExpressway Solutions on a BusinessEdition Server);

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/BE6000/InstallationGuide/10_01/Deploying_Expressway_with_Business_Edition.pdf

Suggests creating the Etherchannel using channel-group XXX mode passive.

So my question is; which is the correct way to do a supported Etherchannel with a BE6/7k? It seems that changing the load balancing policy in the vSwitch to Route based on IP hash is correct, but I am questioning the actual IOS config; is it channel-group XXX mode on or is it channel-group XXX mode passive?

Thanks,

Ryan