[cisco-voip] OT: using subnet/wildcard mask for group within a group, issues?

Matthew Ballard mballard at otis.edu
Thu Feb 5 14:07:35 EST 2015

Are you trying to protect the routers from other hosts within the same network, or just from other networks?

If the latter, then what you’re trying to do is simple, and broadcast/not using the addresses you mentioned at the beginning isn’t an issue, as every address in the grouping can be used (subnets in ACLs is just to specify a set of IPs, not defining a subnet in the traditional networking sense).

If the former, you’d be better off with subnets and a layer 3 switch/router to route between the subnets.

Matthew Ballard
Network Manager
Otis College of Art and Design
mballard at otis.edu<mailto:mballard at otis.edu>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message transmission contains information from Otis College of Art and Design, which may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any  disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the content of this information is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message and any attachment without reading or saving in any manner.