[cisco-voip] CUBE SIP TCP connection timeout

Daniel Pagan dpagan at fidelus.com
Thu Feb 5 14:33:21 EST 2015

If we're talking about transport level timeout, it looks like the command is available in CUBE SP Edition:

"In addition to the SIP protocol-level timers, Cisco Unified Border Element (SP Edition) also allows modification of transport-related timer commands: tcp-connect-timeout (how long TCP SYN will wait for the reply) and tcp-idle-timeout (how long TCP connection should stay active while idle). Although these timers are transport-level values, Cisco IOS XE Release 2.4 supports these timers in SIP only, but not in H.323, nor H.248"

For the tcp-connect-timeout command: "Configures the time (in milliseconds) that SBC waits for a SIP TCP connection to a remote peer to complete before failing that connection. The default timeout interval is 1000 milliseconds."

In practice, specifically at UCM, I wouldn't expect to see a transmitted INVITE in situations where the TCP socket cannot be established, so I'm not sure how well the sip-ua timers below would help.

If it's an option, perhaps using UDP and modifying the retry invite value and TRYING timer as  ucpenguin mentioned below. I'm sure you know of the options keepalive method. One last thing would be to mention the TRYING timer doubles for each INVITE sent without a response until the retry INVITE value is reached (I've seen this cause up to 32 seconds of delay with default values).

Hope this helps.

- Dan