[cisco-voip] IP-DECT recommendations

Dana Tong Dana_Tong at bridgepoint.com.au
Wed Feb 11 16:34:34 EST 2015

Hi Adam,

ASCOM also do some IP DECT handsets. There are two different ways to do this:

IP Base stations - Each base station is a wireless DECT AP and connects via an Ethernet cable and requires POE. The base stations have to be a full mesh to communicate to each other, so keep coverage in mind and have the vendor perform a survey.

IP Enabled Controllers - Each base station is hard wired back to an IP controller (1RU box) that can support a number of base stations. You have multiple controllers but I think there's still just one management interface. These generally have a broader coverage (being analogue DECT). A lot of customers who have analogue DECT (hard wired into an Ericsson PBX for example) find it easier to migrate to IP with this kind of setup.

In each instance, the phone registers to CUCM as a third-party SIP device. So keep this in mind when it comes to licensing. You will need a UCL Enhanced for each DECT handset.

As someone else also pointed out, there are DECT handsets that can be connected to an analogue FXS port such as a Spectralink and Engenius Long Range DECT handsets. These can be connected to VG2xx ports and probably only consume a UCS Essential license.

Cheers
Dana