[cisco-voip] noob questions about cube and SBC

Amit Kumar amit3.kum at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 23:59:54 EST 2015

Hello Berry,

These three applications differ with their functionality. Most simplistic
form of cube is IP to IP gateway, where you pick any router and create dial
peers to route the calls from another leg.

Cisco Unified border element : when enabled with mode border element , give
some additional functionality which is missing in IP to IP gateway. For
example

Address's hiding
LTI transcoding
High availability
Etc..

Compatibility matrix of cube enterprise needs to be checked for supported
platform and feature set.

And variant of cube known as cube-sp or SBC, provide more robust call
routing and efficiency. Basically meant for service provider networks. It
runs on ASR boxes.

Hope that helps a bit.