[cisco-voip] FXS voltages / POTS compatibility

chris tknchris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 19:47:48 EST 2015

Hello

We have a location with a 2800 acting as a voice gateway where we have 2
FXS voice ports going to an alarm system. We are using the vic-4fxs/did
line card.

We have the alarm company saying they are seeing the panel reporting Comm
trouble so we checked the call records and we also did some debugging in
realtime and we see the calls are going out and when we plug a test set in
the dial tone is good.

In talking with the alarm company and researching we have come to believe
the issue may be due to the idle and ringing voltages. We came across this
link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/analog-signaling-e-m-did-fxs-fxo/28280-ring-idle-voltages-fxs.html

This looked promising however when we are in voice port configuration node
we do not have the idle-voltage setting available. We tried several iOS
versions in 12.4 as well as 15.x hut no luck

Is this line card not capable of -48 idle voltage? What cards are? Do we
need anything special as far iOS version?

Ideally we want to have 2 voice ports that are as close to a standard pots
line as possible.

We are a bit lost as its the first time we have hit an issue like this and
we are just hoping someone has been down this path before. If we have to
change line cards or even to another platform we are open to it as long if
someone has a setup that is known working in this manner

Thanks in advance
Chris