[cisco-voip] Device pack installation methodology question

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Sat Jan 3 15:20:43 EST 2015

On 1/3/2015 2:11 PM, Ryan Huff wrote:
> I need to install a device pack on a 2 node 9.1(2) CCM cluster to get
> support for some 88xx phones but I do not want to update the loads for
> anything else.
>
> The approach I am going to use is:
>
> Drop the publisher out of the CM Group, forcing all phones to the
> subscriber. Install the device pack on the publisher and reboot the
> publisher. Once the publisher is backup, set all the device defaults
> back to what I want them to be then add the publisher back to the CM
> Group. Then drop the subscriber from the CM Group forcing all the
> phones on the publisher and start the install process over for the
> subscriber. Once everything is back up add the subscriber back to the
> CM Group.
>
> Does that sound reasonable or is there an easier way?

Any time I've needed device support I just install it on all the nodes
then reboot them one at a time during a maintenance window. As long as
both nodes are running call processing, they'll fail over when the node
reboots.  Not sure about on 9.X, but on 10.X this just shows as a blip
on the phones of them reregistering, not a full reboot.  Obviously if
you install new software for those phones, they'll upgrade software when
they reboot.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com