[cisco-voip] PSTN network emulation for voice and data

Walenta, Philip Philip.Walenta at Polycom.com
Mon Jan 12 13:47:33 EST 2015

Honestly, go find yourself some old Adtran Atlas gear.  It’s ideal for this sort of thing and can emulate everything perfectly (ISDN BRI, PRI, T1, even T.120 data ISDN).

From: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Tom Storey
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 12:19 PM
To: cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] PSTN network emulation for voice and data

Cross posting from cisco-nsp, as there may be more people in the know about the inner workings of this kind of thing over here. :-)

On 12 January 2015 at 06:02, Tom Storey <tom at snnap.net<mailto:tom at snnap.net>> wrote:

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at putting together a box with some PRI, BRI and FXS interfaces to act as an "exchange in a box."

Cisco has a 2 port BRI VIC that can do network emulation (VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE) but I need some help to clarify a point.

It seems that this VIC can be used to allow you to connect terminal equipment, which I guess could include a router with another BRI VIC, and place voice calls between the two devices. But, could I take something like a WIC-1B-S/T and connect it to this VIC to place data calls between a router and an access server?

Has anyone tried this, or does anyone simply know if it won't work and I'd be wasting my time/money? Perhaps I would have to configure the BRI to do DoV to work?

Thanks
Tom