[cisco-voip] SIP Caller ID issue

Hodgeman, Samuel shodgeman at xo.com
Fri Jan 16 12:47:06 EST 2015

Well the SIP modification can certainly be done but I tell ya it is a royal pain in the buttockskis.

There is possibly a lower-complexity fix, not to the TECHNICAL issue but for the BUSINESS requirement.

Typically when customers have this issue, and I ask them WHY they truly need to send out that “main number” from another circuit (or even another carrier) as the caller id the answer is something like this:
“When we call somebody, and they decide to call us back at the number they see on their caller id (or with *67) we want the calls to go to our main number and NOT to the individual DID of the person who originally made the outbound call.”

One lower-complexity solution to this business requirement would be to designate one of the “allowed” numbers on the SIP service for use as the caller id, and simply call-forward-always that number back to your main number that resides on the PRI. If you want to avoid hairpinning issues, you can simply ask XO to do the forwarding in their Broadwords server so it never hits your system.

Another solution would be to again designate one of the “allowed” numbers on the SIP service for use as the caller id, and ask XO to set up “Configurable Calling Line ID” feature on that number. As I recall, that is a standard offer on the XO retail SIP trunks product. With this feature, the outbound call is SCREENED for access based on, for example, the “allowed” SIP number of the originating number sent from the ipPBX, but when that number hits the XO Broadworks server, the caller id can be configured to be automatically changed to ANY number that you own (you may need to prove that you own it) before it is forwarded back out to the greater PSTN.

-          Sam H