[cisco-voip] IP Phone 7841 AUX Port and Credit Card Machine

Gary Parker G.J.Parker at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 15:29:09 EST 2015

Hi Anthony, a PDQ/credit card machine would never work plugged into the AUX port on a 7841. What I’d imagine is happening is that it’s an ethernet capable PDQ (we have many of them on our site) that’s been connected to the PC Port on the back of the phone and is connecting to the local network in this way.

When our site moved to VOIP we had to upgrade all our POTS PDQs to ethernet. We didn’t want to continue to provide analogue lines at all on campus and we were old that banks wouldn’t be happy with financial data transiting our LAN if we used an ATA to provide an analogue line via the callmanagers.

The ethernet PDQs, by contrast, bring up a heavily encrypted VPN tunnel back to the bank’s systems and they are more than happy for these to be connected to LANs and the public Internet.

Hope that helps in some way.

---
|     Unified Communications Service Manager      |
n       Loughborough University IT Services       |
|     http://delphium.lboro.ac.uk/pubkey.txt      |