[cisco-voip] off-net and on-net classification of route patterns and gateways

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Jan 27 15:03:32 EST 2015

Just wondering what exactly the call classification of off-net and on-net for route patterns and gateways does? I always thought it had more to do with ring type, i.e. single ring vs double ring.

I'm trying out a scenario where I have a test gateway connected to a production gateway using a T1 crossover cable. It's not working out to well. I'm working with the TAC to figure out where things are going wrong, and I'm hoping it's not a bug since I had this working without issue in v7. We've since moved to v9.

I had the two connected gateway ports configured as on-net and the route pattern which sent the calls across as off-net, and things would not work. We modified both gateway ports to off-net and things are working, but now the calls show "To Private".

Very weird.

In my scenario, I want to be able to send calls to extensions, not only PSTN numbers, so I'm thinking I should be marking all route patterns and the gateways as on-net. Then, the calls is marked as off-net when it leaves the phone system and hits the PSTN. I'm still hoping I can mark route patterns as "secondary dialtone" even if marked as on-net.

So:

phone -> route pattern -> test gateway o/b port -> T1 Xover <- production gateway A i/b port -> production gateway B o/b port -> PSTN

Any thoughts?

Note: The reason for this set up is so that I can test ACLs on the test gateway first, before applying to the production gateways.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph