[cisco-voip] vMotion w/o Shared Storage

Daniel Pagan dpagan at fidelus.com
Tue Mar 10 21:45:24 EDT 2015

Thanks Dave. I also came across these details, but it too states shared storage:

“A Virtual Machine (VM) file on network/shared storage can be booted on any physical server hosting ESXi that has access to that network shared storage.”

But perhaps my confusion was vMotion vs cold migration. My original thought was using Enhanced vMotion since the objective was to bring the VM config and disk to another host and unshared datastore.

http://www.vladan.fr/vmware-enhanced-vmotion/
http://www.ntpro.nl/blog/archives/2118-Enhanced-vMotion-with-vSphere-5.1.html

I wasn’t sure if this was Cisco supported since all mention of vMotion migrations in the VMware requirements document state shared storage, but it seems this doesn’t quite fit the process of vMotion (Enhanced or not) since the virtual machine is powered off anyway. This would certainly fall under the category of cold migration, which is definitely Cisco supported.

Some confusion on my part between the two migration methods but all is clear.

Thanks!

- Dan